Tuesday 8 September 2009

Brake maintenance

Regine was in a very good condition when I bought her, considering the age. The chassis had some usual dents after a luggage rack, and the brakes needed some TLC. The tires definetively needed replacement, rubber was hard and provided a lumpy drive.

One of the first maintenance jobs I performed on her was to tidy up the brakes:
The rims needed some shining up, and the wheels needed replacement...
Front and rear hub are like, picture after degreasing and sand blasting...
inside...
Although the drums are like, the brake shoes are not (back showing)...
Front...
A package of SIP tires and new SS rims where ordered from SIP. Not taking any chances, the rims where primed, sprayed and clearcoated before assembly...
It was not until I had primed, sprayed and clearcoated the drums I noticed this; all 5 pinbolts on rear drum was nearly broken off!
The old rear rim told the same story...
It took me some time to find the solution to the problem, being summer holiday and all; the end of the story is that I had to machine out the old pinbolts, and replaced them with umbraco bolts.  

Today I am very happy that I did this maintenance; the result could have been fatal for both me and the scooter. I am more, but not totally, happy with the stopping power. The ride is however smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment